CANNIBAL serial killer investigators have found 3,787 bones while unearthing the remains of nearly 20 suspected victims under a butcher’s home in Mexico.
The shocking number of bone fragments found beneath Andrés’ concrete floors suggests the corpses were hacked into tiny pieces, say prosecutors.
The former butcher, 72, suspected of being a twisted serial killer cannibal, told a court he peeled the skin off the face of one alleged victim because he thought she was “very pretty”.
Andrés made the sickening claim during a four-hour hearing in Mexico where he was officially charged with killing the wife of a serving police officer.
Investigators digging under his house on the outskirts of Mexico City said on Saturday that they have found 3,787 bone fragments so far, apparently belonging to 17 different victims.
Prosecutors in the State of Mexico have suggested the grisly finds may not end there, as they start digging up floors under other rooms.
During excavations carried out since May 17, authorities have dug up the floors of the house where the suspect lived.
They now plan to extend the search to the soil beneath several other rooms he rented out on the same property.
ID cards and other possessions from people who disappeared years ago were found at the junk-filled home, suggesting the trail of killings may go back years.
He was nabbed because his most recent alleged victim was the wife of a police commander who he knew personally.
Andrés was said to have accompanied the victim on a shopping trip the day she disappeared, so her husband suspected him when she failed to return.
The cop gained access to police surveillance cameras showing his wife had entered, but not left, the street where the suspect lived.
During a search of Andrés’ home, the missing woman’s cop husband is said to have found her hacked up body on a table along with the remains of nine other women.
He has reportedly already confessed to five murders – and was taken into custody after Reyna González, 34, suddenly disappeared in Atizapán de Zaragoza.
The elderly man allegedly admitted to carrying out sickening acts of cannibalism by eating parts of the corpses.
During his first court hearing in May 2021, Andrés said “all I want to do is tell the truth” as he spoke of several women he claimed he had met and then killed.
“I removed the skin from her face because she was very pretty,” he said before adding “what has been done is done. The husband is there, he saw everything.”
Under questioning, the suspect reportedly admitted to slaughtering multiple women over the last 20 years with some fearing he may have killed up to 30.
The bone fragments are being subjected to forensic studies.
These include carefully cleaning each piece, identifying what part of the body it is, and then placing it in its anatomical position, to help determine the approximate number of victims, the prosecutors’ office said.
This analysis indicates that, up to now, the bone fragments found may possibly be those of 17 people, the statement said.
He has been ordered to stand trial in the killing of his last victim, a 34-year-old woman whose body he allegedly dismembered with a butcher’s hacksaw and knives on May 14.
Authorities have not released Andrés full name as Mexican laws protect a suspect’s identity.
But what investigators also found was women’s clothing, voter IDs and audio and video tapes suggesting he may have recorded his alleged victims.
The format of the video tapes found at the house may suggest how far the killings went back.
Authorities found 28 8mm video tapes, which were discontinued around 2007, and 25 VHS cassettes, which largely fell out of favour by 2016.
In total, prosecutors said they have found 91 photos, many of the type people would have used to obtain ID cards; eight cellphones, and women’s jewellery and makeup.
Prosecutors said they are still examining the bone fragments to see if they can extract any DNA to identify the victims.
Prosecutor Dilcya Garcia said in May: “We found a basement made by the suspect which had a terrible scene with human remains.”